Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Spinach Vine

Red Malabar Spinach, Basella alba "Rubra" also know as spinach vine is not truly spinach but a plant that has a taste similar to that of spinach. It is easy to grow  in the ground or in a pot on the deck. It does require full to part sun and something to climb on as it will grow from 8 to 12 feet tall. I have read that it is a perennial in  zones 7b to 11 but I also read that it re-seeds very easily and that it is only truly perennial in the tropics.  The leaves are eaten raw in salads or on a sandwich. They are also used in soups  to help thicken the broth or in stir-fries with garlic and chili peppers. I am sure the uses are up to the individual cook. The leaves are high in  vitamins A and C and have a good amount of iron and calcium.
I have yet to try any of the leaves on my plant, I was/am so fascinated by the plant itself! I do think a stir-fry is on the menu very soon! One other note, this plant can be invasive in very warm climates. For more information go to http://www.bbg.org/ (the Brooklyn Botanic Garden).

No comments:

Post a Comment