Friday, September 16, 2011

CANNA

I have not had much luck with Cannas. As I received one yesterday I thought I would look it up once more and see if I can't have a bit more success. Cannas are tropical looking and can range in size from 1' to 8'. They like full sun and rich, well drained but moist soil. They do not mind wet conditions. They are cold hardy through zone 7.
I dug up the ones in my yard this last spring and found that the rhizomes did not look healthy so I tossed them. That may be why I have not been successful. The other reason I may not have had much success is that I do not water as much as I probably should. I will plant this one near my rain barrel to be sure to give it the water it will need now and next summer!
Note; Cannas are prone to leaf rollers, a caterpillar that rolls itself in the new leaves and enjoys a good meal! You can spray or I prefer to pick the little guys off and toss out for the birds to have a good meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment